Thursday, August 29, 2013

Day 9

Today was m&m's and percents, and percent errors.   It was the first out-of-the box thing I've done with this particular class, and their response was enthusiastic but iffy in the effectiveness department.  It made me think of a day last year when I was whining to my principal about a particular set of punks not being able to handle a less-structured task. She said, "That's why they so badly need to do more of them!"


I thought this was fun:  One group found a half-candy.  I thought it would make for at least a minute of discussion about how to handle it.  Count it as a candy? Discard it as not part of the experiment?  But all four of them looked at me like i was crazy and wrote down 49.5


This was, by far, my favorite part.  One of the students noticed a mathematical anomaly ... soon several had appeared around the room.













No comments:

Post a Comment