Sunday, September 8, 2013

Day 14

Seriously normal day.  depressingly so. 

The Algebra students revolted because "it is too hard" and "you didn't teach us this" - both of which are simply not true.  The first question had four parts.  One girl did the  first three parts right, made a sign error on the fourth part, and threw up her hands refusing to work the rest of the homework.

These are my 8th grade Algebra students; they're supposed to be the brightest we've got.  Where along the line did they learn that they can't do it if the teacher doesn't tell them how?  Very difficult situation.


 The highlight of the day was probably when my principal came into my classroom.  We'd had a discussion the day before and she said I needed a signal to call for their attention.  I told her about "No banana hat - no dinner" and (to her credit) she didn't flinch or look confused when I said it.  But today she came in while we doing group work and she said "No banana hat" in a regular voice.  I think she was genuinely surprised - or amused - when they said, "No dinner" and looked at her.  This was a big deal for me.  She doesn't think I'm funny, so even a hint of amusement is a win in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment